Friday, August 20, 2004

Gomer (joy) to the world!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't put the kind-hearted soul, Gomer Pyle, in the same sentence with Mr. Bush. An esteemed writer described President Bush as a “thuggish Gomer Pyle.” While he accurately observes that Bush seems both oversimple and ruthless, he quite unintentionally miscast Mr. Pyle.

Gomer was always a personal hero of sorts. He literally walked out of step with everybody else, but he had an innate trust in goodness. No matter how bad things got they always ended glowingly with Gomer.

Gomer was full of joy that he also wished for anybody he was around. He was the living embodiment of FDR optimism. While Gomer never wore God on his sleeve it was obvious, to me at least, that His spirit was living through Gomer.

This is not to say that the same is not also true for Mr. Bush. It is not for me to stand in such judgment. In fact, I pray for him, his family and team and that they make decisions that best benefit our world.

However Gomer's fruit was sweet, flavorful and eagerly digested. For much of the world Mr. Bush's fruit is, well…bitter is the nicest way to put it.

It’s a tad early for Christmas, but I wish us all Gomer’s sense of peace, good will and sunny optimism.

Oh and by the way, cousin Goober says “hey!”

Moo on! RFD 8/20/04

2 comments:

Wayne said...

An excellent article. I, too, am impressed with the saint-like goodness of Gomer Pyle (though, admittedly, I never thought of him as a hero).

One of the things that impresses me most about your writing, and seperates you from so many others, is your refusal for pass judgement on those with whom you might disagree. Very refreshing. Keep up the good work.

Silas

patheticperipatetic

invadesoda said...

When I watched that show, growing up in rural North Carolina, I was perhaps hypersensitive to Gomer as a portrayal of the dumb Southerner archetype. I guess I'm more of a "Hogan's Heroes" guy. I am infinitely more comfortable, fictionally speaking, with dumb Nazis.

I guess for you, this little animation is proof that Kerry is the right guy.