Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving thanks


I give thanks, lord, I give thanks.  I have so much for which to be thankful, THANK YOU.  

Not that I needed to see him for this feeling of gratitude, but on this gray, rainy morning as I was pulling off New Circle Rd onto Nicholasville I saw a raggedy man--beard damp with driplets and baggy clothes soaked through to his bones-- who was walking towards the ramp with a homemade sign that I could not read but probably said something like "Homeless, please help, bless you!"

I took a short minute to put myself in his shoes, forced my mind to adopt HIS outlook, HIS feelings--or what I imagined his feelings to be--at that moment, and then what they might have been during the hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades that would lead to this sad, sad moment of desparation.

My God, what chain of events in this man's life could create the condition that had him scrambling on this unforgiving day?  It was a  mind-numbing abyss, one that had I lingered too long, I imagined, I might never escape.

For the fact that I had the spiritual, mental, and physical health to observe, empathize and reflect, and that I had a nice car from which to do so,  that I was able to get a taste of that poor man's life, yet return to my own.... I AM THANKFUL!

For this, for family, for friends, for freedom, for opportunities and and a million things more I give thanks.

Richard Dawahare  November 22, 2011

No comments: